Friday, November 26, 2010

The Dream Trick...

Well My name is T. Patrick Rooney and welcome to my blog, I am going to use this blog to try to keep track of the insane dreams and odd thoughts, that I have been having lately and to help me work out how to shoe-horn said dreams and imaginings into my fiction. Oh, I am a writer I write stuff for The Library of the Living Dead most of the time with a few other things out there as well.
So here we go Wednesday night I dreamed I was walking down a long beach it extended in both directions as far as the eye could see and I was walking toward the setting sun, so I was going west I don't know if that is significant because it could very easily have been a sunrise, but the sun never moved and the sky held its orange-ish-red fire in it the whole time I was dreaming...but I digress...
Ok so I am walking down this endless beach, the sky overhead is a rippling fire of sunset and the beach is bleached white sand as if it was made of powdered bones.  Speaking of bones the one time I did look to my left, away from the endlessly rolling waves crashing into the beach, I saw a demolished city, the half-collapsed skyscrapers reaching like skeletal bones grasping at the sky they once ruled. I didn't like the look of certain round craters in the rubble, something about high-yield bombs going off in residential sections of the city make me want to avert my eyes...
 So I continue down the beach and I find a section of two by four. This plank of wood is all crusted with sand at one end and the other end has been carved into what looks like a good approximation of a cricket bat handle. There is even some duct tape about the handle end. It is way too long to be a cricket bat though it is almost as if it was not finished before being abandoned here on the beach. I run my hands up the wood until I get to the sand-encrusted end of the thing and I start to knock the sand off with my thumb. After a while I get up to the end of the thing and I find that it is rotted on the end both of the wide faces of the two by four are ok but the narrow sides are rotted back into the center. I knock more sand off of it and I find a tiny dead snake in the sand. I stare at it for a long time its one eye is gone and the other is milky and diseased-looking. I keep walking down the back and I grab the handle end of the stick and I bash it on the sand as I walk dislodging more and more encrusted sand and also about four or five of the baby snakes. I spin the end back toward me and I look at the rotted wood and there still clinging somehow to the wood is the milky-eyed snake.
It looks up at me and cocks it's head to the side like a dog examining something its milky eye seeming to see right through me...
and then I woke up...

No comments:

Post a Comment